22 Feb 2012

To eat or not to eat

I was recently discussing being at an enkai and being offered shark fin soup as one of the courses at the dinner. I am personally against shark fin as I think shark fin fishing is very inhumane. Guess I have a problem with hunting the animal solely for its fin and discarding the rest of the fish sometimes ALIVE. I feel the same way for a lot of other animal practices but I brought this up when you get to Japan you are faced with a lot of new things to try and its a tricky thing sometimes to stay true to yourself and not offend your hosts.

Depending on where you are from a whole lot may not be know about customs about you country so be prepared for some eyebrow raising behaviour at times. Like they say when in Rome, but most people are very open to personal believes and won't take offense but I try to be as polite about some things as possible without making my Japanese host feel offended or uncomfortable. Just try to be as polite as possible and explain if you can and focus of something that you really are enjoying and enjoy yourself and bride to gap.

3 comments:

  1. Carson C. Cadogan22 February 2012 at 20:28

    Be true to your self. Politely explain your opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carson C. Cadogan22 February 2012 at 20:30

    Alternatively, try not to be in a position where you will be offered such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I explained why I couldn't eat it, but I told them I'm not offended if they eat it single it's a personal decision for me not you. I think it's wrong but it's a cultural thing and I respect people's culture.

    ReplyDelete