10 Jan 2012

Reverse culture shock ( I thought I had posted this)

This is something that has honestly hit me like a ton of bricks. Living in japan has conditioned me for some serious isolation, very few black people and even fewer Caribbean people! In my area I was the only Caribbean person until recently when I was joined by a few Jamaicans. You become extremely accustomed to be rare and being starred at and seeing your own people once in a blue moon. Coming home or the holidays has seriously sent my system into shock.

After leaving Fukushima I headed to Narita airport and even there I saw more black people in the waiting area than I had seen in months in my area. That took some adjusting too. I found myself just constantly looking at them and acting just like the locals in my area when they saw me when I first arrived lol. When I arrived in New York this feeling and behavior was put into overdrive!!! Black people everywhere.!! It was awesome and at the same time unnerving it went from a trickle to flood in 13 hours.

Being in Barbados was yet another somewhat big readjustment. It's great I be home even for a little while, I missed my family, friends, food and the temperature but I found it somewhat odd. When I first arrived I was overjoyed to back in Bim but it didn't feel real to me. Walking around area and going to my favourite places felt surreal I didn't really feel like I was actually there. I kept asking myself was ever really in Japan??? I kept looking at photos in my phone to remind myself it was all real.

THINGS I MISSED
I definitely missed my family and friends like crazy. It's amazing to see them and hang out and just act crazy like the old days.

I miss the temperature. I love the new experience of winter but sometimes I miss not having to layer everyday. Being an island girl I kinda miss just plain old shorts and a t-shirt thing.

I miss that some things are are exactly the same as when I left. I love the way the island vibe and one love mentality. Nothing will change that about my people. I love that my country has avoided becoming a dangerous place to live. I can walk around at any time of day and feel safe.

THINGS I DON'T MISS
I have to say that Japan has definitely spoiled me. Japan is gotten me over the "island time living". Now I live on Japanese behaviour so on time is late and 10 mins early is on time and I like that ... Keeps you sharp. If you like that kinda of living sometimes Barbados will drive you CRAZY!!!!! Of course here is a high level of professionalism but in comparison to Japan it has a ways to go.

Many places in bim must be commended for their customer service but some place truly need to revise their policies or have more checks and balances for staff. I don't miss the time it sometimes takes to get things done.

Ah well i guess it all adds to it's charm. One thing I'll say bim preps you for living anywhere and will always love it for that lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment