10 Jan 2012

Being a cultural ambassador

For all ALTS a big part of your job is being a cultural ambassador for your country, however, you are also an ambassador for Japan when you return home.

Since returning home on vacation I found myself fielding so many questions about my experiences there so far and life in Japan on a whole. That ability to answer any question also comes from being recognized from a program I did while in Japan about my life there. I'm still so surprised that I've been recognized by many people here at home. I love to see the level of interest in Japan and the amount of people that have become interested in going to Japan since hearing about my time there. For many people they were not aware of the JET Programme and since hearing about it they've become very interested in participating on the programme. I really makes me happy that I am happy to be able to help anyone in any way to to get more Barbadians to take part in this amazing experience.

Since being home I've appeared on the national morning program and been asked to talk people about Japan. I am so proud to be more than just another participant on this Programme and I fell like I am truly making a difference in people's lives and I'm not just being there only getting what I want out of the experience and leaving with the memories. My hope is that I can increase the amount of annual applicants and participants accepted in the coming years. At the moment they only take about 3 participants a year and I would love to see an increase in bajan influence over here similar to what Jamaica currently has. This too is influenced by the work done by bajans currently here. As there are so few if us over there our behaviour and our work directly influences the perception on our country and the future desire schools will have to have more of us in the future. This is something we all take very seriously and will continue to do.

Like I said before I love what I do and will continue to do this for as long as I can. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment