30 Jul 2011

Patience is a virtue

Let me just say to anyone looking to do this program, if you're an impatient person this may not be the program for you. Don't get me wrong it is an incredible opportunity to see another world but you need nerves of steel going through this process. After you get over the three months waiting to find out about the interview, and the three to four month wait to find out acceptance or rejection is (if your coming from the Caribbean) the long long journey to Japan. I have to tell you this process will seriously test you, even the most genki new JET would get pretty peeved with the craziness that comes with airport process .

MIAMI LEG


Ok, day 3 of my journey to Japan. Before I could get settled and have a chance to really explore Trinidad it was time to begin the next leg of my trip from Trinidad to Miami. Luckily and unfortunately for me I was pretty paranoid about being overweight at check in so I got rid of a lot of things from my luggage in Barbados so 2 of my 3 bags were 30 pounds under the limit. I was amazed at the RIDICULOUS prices my trini counterparts paid for their overweight luggage but they loaded themselves down with a lot of useful things that I opted not to bring because I think I'm the best representation of my country and there's no need to weigh myself down with too much extra stuff.

My strategy also included not sleeping a lot the night before the flight so I would sleep through most of the flight which worked out perfectly because I'm hyperactive and I get bored easily. Unfortunately all the sleep I got didn't prepare the labour that was to come once I got off the plane. When you arrive at Miami International Airport be prepared to have some serious walking to do. Thank god I packed light because the level of hustling you have to do to reach custom before the herds of other people gunning for the same destination is ridiculous. My advice is to wear comfortable shoes because we spent about 2 1/2 hours clearing customs. I'm not kidding! Like I said this programme will test your conviction at every turn and let me tell you that I'm very glad it was a group arrival so I could share my frustration and utter disbelief of the length of time spent standing around with.

To be continued ....

Getting ready to be processed in Trinidad



Making weigh adjustments
Prior to disembarking in Miami
Venting after finally clearing customs


Happy to be free!!!!

NEXT UP DALLAS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment